Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: But you make it sound...

""FULLRANGE SPEAKERS WITH NO CROSS OVERS, DO NOT HAVE PHASE OR TIMMING ISSUE."

I suppose that would be unless you measured one, because if you do, one finds that even one driver has an acoustic phase shift that is not always zero. AS the later Dick Heyser observed, a single woofer or example may move back and forth in time by a distance equal to several feet.

Also, it is comforting to think one can fix time with DSP in a multiway speaker, and you can, but only in one location.

If the distance to any of the drivers changes if you move left or right or up and down, then a DSP correction can only be a local one and only applies where the measurement the correction was based on was taken.

It is possible but difficult to actually make multiple sources combine into one but it is not generally done in hifi as it requires a specific relations ship between the sources.
Spatial errors in position in the X and Y planes cannot be fixed with DSP only in the Z plane or time and you CAN hear source shape distortion and the reducing that is what the KEF blade speakers are based on which emulate a single point source.

Here is a horn system i developed which also radiates in time and space as a single source, a spherical segment like a point source well behind an open window. I have SH-50's in my home system and they will reproduce a square wave over a decade wide band width.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.