Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

On flat response...

"YMMV, of course."

Nope! I aim for maximally flat response as well. If the design is sound, there is no reason why the chosen filters *shouldn't* sum flat.

The only time flat does not sound good is when one's previous reference was NOT FLAT to begin with, which is probably more common than most would like to believe. Some people (audiophiles mostly), when they hear my system(s), start pointing out flaws in the amplitude response. Too much bass. Too little. Not enough high end. Too much. Midrange too recessed. Midrange too prevailent. Compared to what? Compared to their own personal reference, which is definately not flat!

This is why the verbiage about "tonal balance" is audiophile-speak to me. Timbre and tone are characterstics of instruments. Timbre and tone in a loudspeaker is characterstic of poor design. I've always wondered what magical response allows for "correct tonal balance and timbre" if it is not perfectly flat response? I guess it's whatever the audiophile BELIEVES to sound most like his recollection of an instruments sound. Another term is "voicing". It sounds really eloquent and alludes to some mystical skill set, but it suggests that the designer gives the speaker it's own unique tone or timbre, when flat would have done just fine. If flat sounds bad, perhaps one should look at phase response or time domain behaviour for the culprit.

I agree with you. Speakers that are not flat may sound "different, lively, fun or exciting" at first, but non-flat is a very bad thing to use as a reference. If getting the tone and timbre of instruments is important at all, that is.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.