Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I find it sort of funny....

Klaus:

My impulse response, with IIR filters, has less pre-ringing (only artifacts of the measurement process show up) but considerably more post-ringing. Your impulse response has very low ringing on BOTH sides. Very impressive. I agree that the subject of pre-ringing is not well established and to date have not heard these "artifacts" myself. THis is why FIR filters are still of great interest to me.

You said: "When comparing time aligned to not time aligned speakers, you are almost certainly comparing different amplitude responses and radiation behaviours at the same time, not only phase behaviour."

In my case I had set up time aligned and non-time aligned versions of the same cabinet and drivers, but technically even though these things are the same they are not the same speaker because as you point out, the polar and amplitude responses would be different as well. But somehow, still, what I am hearing seems like it has more to do with impulse response than amplitude or polar response but psychological forces could well be at play and can't be ruled out.

After seeing your impulse response and group delay plots and I now more than ever going to work on getting the right FIR filters going for my system. Once i do that, I want to learn how to incorporate equalisation and the filter transfer function into the same impulse, so both are done at once with one convolution. (if this is even possible).

I am relatively new to digital filters and DSP techniques (and creating my own impulses) so I don't think I can exchange with you on an eye-to-eye level quite yet. But I do appreciate you posting your excellent results, and I really like how you took the time to try different combinations of linear and minimum phase filters.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.