Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Well, if you don't post any more you can't learn

I'm not thick. You're just not listening because once someone decides a certain speaker design is a panacea free from any down sides theur fingers are almost certainly poked firmly into their ears. Electrostatic loudspeakers are dipoles. Some people don't want dipoles because even though they may have many advantages they add room dependent information to the signal - in the form of a backwave reflection. Sure, since ESL's operate as a line source the added "echo" from the backwave makes for some interesting imaging, but it's a compromise not everyone is willing to live with. Your choice to ignore this is simply your choice.

As for your statement:

"FULLRANGE SPEAKERS WITH NO CROSS OVERS, DO NOT HAVE PHASE OR TIMMING ISSUE."

This is patently false. Crossovers have nothing to do with whether or not a given speaker has phase roll. Any speaker with a mechanical (acoustic) roll off has phase roll. Crossovers add additional phase roll to existing 'acoustic' slopes.

Many full range advocates believe that the lack of a crossover (or use of a simple capacitor or mimimum phase equalisation network) guarantees a transient accurate system but this is not the case at all. A properly designed 3-way transient accurate speaker will almost certainly have better transient behaviour than a single full range dynamic loudspeaker that is uncorrected.

Now, electrostats (another type of fullrange speaker) DO NOT have phase or timing issues in their passband but because of the dipole nature (backwave) I am not sure they technically qualify as a transient accurate system.

As for me, I just don't do dipoles or bipoles regardless of how 'interesting' the resulting soundstage is due to the extraneous (delayed) reflections.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.