Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I find it sort of funny....

That 'philes who don't even own transient accurate speakers plagued with phase distortion and bizarre impulse response are spending all their time and money swapping out interconnects and speaker tippy toes.

I say get rid of the REAL problem(s) in your system FIRST.

If you really want to "look deeper into music" try speakers with all drivers time and phase coherent and a flat phase response. Hard to find with passive boxes but it's a reality now for active systems - especially those that employ phase correction and time alignment.

Once you try these sorts of "tweaks" you'll find that probably any set of interconnects you have around will work just fine, while you listen late into the evening even on a work night.

The measurement mic does not lie. I myself don't bother things that don't show up on a MLS plot when there are things THAT BADLY OUT OF WACK that DO show up. Measureability of cables is a non-issue. The issue is philes STLLL insist on iterating with variables of minutae while leaving massive sources of error alone because of the learning curve involved. ONce you a/b corrected /eq'd / time aligned systems with conventional passive systems you'll understand the differences are NOT subtle. I'm not talking "removal of a veil" here. I'm talking the difference between listening to speakers and FORGETTING you're listening to speakers. THat's not subtle at all - it's what I have been seeking out for many years now. And I'm closer than ever before.

You guys keep swapping cables and A-goning perfectly good gear. I gave up on that once I heard what fixing the REAL problems in audio can do.

Oh, if you dismiss active digital filters then don't play CDs. They have digital active filters in them too. And even modern LPs may have had digital equalisation and other digital intruments in the chain (or in the DAW software), so it's probably far and few LPs that are truly "AAA", meaning analog master, analog submaster and analog medium.

Pick your poison, but my vote is to stop tweakery for a while and try some hardcore approaches to good sound. It saved me from insanity.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.