Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Hi John

""Hi John, I am middlin along, my health has stabilized, but my time is all but consumed by my employer ""

Glad your health is ok. Also glad your employer is workin ya, tis better than the alternative..same thing here, but I can't complain since they do pay me..

""I have satisfied myself that they were NOT measurement artifacts, or overload of the passive crossover magnetics""

I didn't think they were. I am rather confident the non-linear driver magnetics is the reason.

""Naw, with load resistors on a passive crossover circuit, what mostly shows up is crossover overload, which is interesting, but academic in terms of looking for cable distortion.

Hence my statement to do such. By loading each crossover with resistors, it can be easily demonstrated that the cables themselves do not create distortion, but cause the system to react to the non linearity of the voice coils in their environment..it is very important to provide a baseline measurement so that variables and elements can be eliminated from the mix as it were. Far too many people setup and perform a test such as this, but yet do not strive to eliminate confounders..

The only other test to try is replacing the speakers with reactive components which match the linear aspects of the drivers. This will drive the full four quadrant operation, and in doing so will examine the amplifier's four quadrant capability with a complex waveform and a non resistive current.

A poor mans variant of the four quadrant output test setup I detailed to you back in march of 2007.

""It seems the speaker cables are much more a part of the SYSTEM than anyone ever imagined.

Sigh. Eventually what I understand will begin to be thought of.... by the rest.....:-)

A pleasure speakin with ya...

ps...had a scoop of moosetracks last night...awesome...

Cheers, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Hi John - jneutron 06:23:13 06/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.