Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: There's a lot of anger out there..........

Your example with amplifiers may not be valid. Amplifiers interact with the speakers they are driving. It may be that one design approach works better with one speaker than another. There are other reasons to prefer one amplifier over another. Where I live, Class A amplifiers would be very practical in the winter but undesirable in the summer. Some people like to look at glowing tubes and roll them, perhaps out of curiousity or boredom. Some don't. In my case, it's "been there, done that". I just want an amplifier to be transparent and reliable.

" If you've ever done a comparison between a super high quality system, and a super high quality recording, mixed with the actual instrument played live in the room: back to back, - the stereo system falls short every single time."

Actually, I have done a number of those comparisons. And after suitable adjustments to microphone position and record and playback gain there was no short fall. However I had control of the recording as well as the playback. Recording and playback were in the same room.

"I don't sell people equipment,"

Tell us why the (D) if you aren't selling stuff.

"By the time anyone hears any disc, - it's usually at least 5th generation or more down from what was actually played in a room."

Not true. The best classical recordings are no more than one generation from the original recording. In the case of PCM studio masters and direct DSD produced SACDs they can be a perfect clone of the original recording. Many of the newly remastered SACD and hi-res downloads are made directly from analog master tapes, sometimes (often, hopefully) the original analog master tape. In this case they are one digital generation removed from the original recording. Both 192/24 PCM and DSD can yield essentially transparent copies of the signal out of the tape machine if the best converters are used.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.