Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You continue to miss the point

Apparently you think that having equipment sensitive to differing electrical characteristics of interconnects is somehow resolution.

No, that's called sensitivity to differing electrical characteristics. There are very expensive high resolution line stages that are quite insensitive to basic frequency changes due to capacitance. There are also inexpensive passive attenuators which also provide high resolution which, due to their nature, are sensitive to frequency changes due to capacitance. The two concepts are most certainly not synonymous.

Resolution? What's that?

I'm only to happy to provide the dictionary's explanation so that you might understand.

"the process or capability of making distinguishable the individual parts of an object"

The ability for a component to be able to make evident changes that occur in the musical content or by the individual characteristics of other components, including cables independent of matching issues. Resolution allows any component to reveal that which is passed through it, for better or for worse. Low resolution gear, by its very nature, is incapable of providing that view to the truth and indeed is quite insensitive to most any change in source or other components.

You might find it beneficial that a Mercury Gran Marquis is insensitive to choice of tires. No matter which ones you choose, performance will always be poor. It's suspension design limits whatever you may choose. Mid-fi gear works similarly. No matter what quality source or cables you may choose, there will be little or no audible difference because its design limits whatever you may choose. I prefer high performance cars and audio components which are capable of communicating the differences which exist.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.