Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Your interesting aside...

"As an interesting aside, when I experimented with some power amps that BREAK the feedback loop from being influenced by the loudspeaker back EMF, most of the big sonic differences between cables goes down, as does a low level grundge that always seems to be present to one extent or another with most conventional feedback amps, even with my mostly load invariant Stax DA-80 pure class A power amps. It seems the speaker cables are much more a part of the SYSTEM than anyone ever imagined.
"

This seems to be more indicative of what Otalla described in the late 70s early 80s. He published a couple of papers on how back EMF from the speaker could be injected into the feedback loop and create audible distortion.

Also, Crowhurst in the 1950s demonstrated that high negative feedback creates a myriad of low level harmonic distortion components. A kind of "grass" in the noise baseline that is in fact signal correlated and therefore not noise at all!

Once I went to a GOOD no negative feedback design amp, I found a low level purity and tonal rightness that I hadn't known existed before that. That grunge is no longer there. Also, this kind of sonic "constipation" that I hear with so many amps, where the sound is kind of dynamically squashed, is no longer present.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Your interesting aside... - morricab 05:45:33 06/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.