Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I got no beef with DBTs

The problem with DBTs is that they are very time consuming, difficult and expensive to do properly and have limited applicability for certain questions. Unless there is a serious economic basis there is unlikely to be funding to support proper testing. Those who understand the problems will appreciate this and if they are honest they will also explain where this kind of testing is inappropriate.

In particular, for a negative test to have any value whatsoever there have to be serious efforts to show that the test equipment, test materials and test protocols have sufficient resolution to be able to create and resolve any differences being investigated. In addition the listeners need to be qualified, trained and their qualification and training proven. This is all well known by real scientists, but not by typical audiophiles of the objectivist persuasion, most of whom appear to be second or third rate engineers and certainly not scientists.

Regardless of the quality of any test results, the nature of human belief and knowledge is that it remains impervious to facts in the absence of some kind of theoretical model to hold the facts. Any student of the history of science will appreciate this. I would be surprised if any audiophiles changed their allegiance as a result of any published reports of experiments conducted by others. In my opinion this represents perfectly rational behavior, particularly given the amount of dishonesty throughout society today in all fields, even including scientific research.

If there were real money in cables then perhaps there would be real experiments and real data.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.