Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Strange

It helps to read the article.

The cable models are listed in the graphs, the Subwoofer was an 18" Cerwin Vega brand (they may provide the model number in the original paper), but the "full-range two-way speaker" with passive crossover was not identified in the book chapters shown at the Audiodesign web site.

I think that the main thing here is that they were using real world loads, rather than resistors. The 18" Cerwin Vega Sub was undoubtedly capable of a LOT of back EMF, as it would probably have been a Pro Sound subwoofer (the continuous 20 Volt RMS input is a clue, as the peak voltages would have been umpteen dB higher).

Oh, and if I am remembering correctly, you MUST use differential ungrounded signal probes, or you have contaminated the cable measurement with the measurement system ground. These would have to be capable of handing 100V peaks without problems, as the crest factor of the multitone is fairy high, around 15 dB or so.

I have PDF copies of Voishvillo's paper's (ref 3 and 4 in the article), let me know if you need a copy.

Jon Risch

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Strange - Jon Risch 19:29:18 06/01/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.