Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You've opened a marvelous worm can here...

"And that’s why speaker manufacturers don’t want to show the graphs"

Surely if a DIY guy like myself can toil until he gets a flat AMPLITUDE response, a talented speaker designer in a big speaker company could do this in spades. My first DIY designs focused on amplitude response before I even knew the significance of a reverse null.

So are these manufacturers purposely selling a "non-flat" speaker that sounds exciting and different and "detailed" without sounding shrill or excessively lean?

I think, after seeing response graphs for Watt Puppies (speakers that were allegedly favorites for studio monitoring) which are ragged as a mountain range become revered speakers among the audiophile community. Perhaps the "right" peaks and dips in the audible bandwidth are pleasant sounding, such as the 2nd harmonic distortion euphoria of tube amps.

If we add in the fact we all have different hearing curves and rooms and room materials, it almost makes no sense to even discuss preferences surrounding slight amplitude response variations IMHO.

Or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.