Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: so I don't think I can exchange with you on an eye-to-eye level

The FIR filters of my speakers are, as far as I know, the results of a PHD thesis:

http://sylvester.bth.rwth-aachen.de/dissertationen/1999/2/99_2.pdf

>I agree that the subject of pre-ringing is not well established and to date have not heard these "artifacts" myself.<

jj in one his presentations states that some older converters and codecs produce audible pre-ringing but that not all pre-echo is audible.

>In my case I had set up time aligned and non-time aligned versions of the same cabinet and drivers, but technically even though these things are the same they are not the same speaker because as you point out, the polar and amplitude responses would be different as well. But somehow, still, what I am hearing seems like it has more to do with impulse response than amplitude or polar response but psychological forces could well be at play and can't be ruled out.<

In the above mentioned thesis the author did some tests with a small group of listeners and found that different filters (presumably LLL and MMM) could not be distinguished, not in a reverberant room, not in the anechoic chamber. The most important parameter is said to be amplitude response, which is also what Floyd Toole has found in his research. And this is where many loudspeakers, also in the high-end, perform rather poorly. And that’s why speaker manufacturers don’t want to show the graphs.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.