Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Good sound is the goal, and it is entirely subjective.

See, here is where we differ in opinion. If I buy a piano I base my choice on how it sounds. If I buy a reproducer I base my choice on how well it reproduces. And good reproduction inherently means flat response, no distortion, no diffraction, time-aligned drivers. That's what hifi stands for.

Speaker measurements have been correlated to subjective listening impressions, so my criteria are not entirely non-subjective, that's true.

>Specifications, measurements, are not conducted until after the fact: after the device "sounds good."<

I have asked many speaker manufacturers for measurements, none of those provided any and some even admitted that they would not make measurements at all, two of those referred to audio mags instead. I don't know of any high-end manufacturer who shows measurements on his website. Dunlavy and Thiel used to. Geddes does. Klein+Hummel, JBL, Genelec do. I made my choice accordingly.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.