Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Some (final) points

Audiophiles are not publishing papers in "esteemed" journals. What they do or do not do is irrelevant to my criticism of authors or journals.

If one is exploring format limitations, one can very easily "calibrate" the test setup that I previously suggested. (Hi-res PCM vs. Hi-res PCM degraded through a lower resolution "knothole".) For example, one can test the effect of various sampling rates by down sampling and re upsampling to various alternative sample rates. Similarly one can use different bit resolutions. The degradations are all quite precise as they can be software controlled and if one wants one can look at the actual source code that's doing the mangling and vet the algorithms.

I encounter the lack of resolution of RBCD almost every time I work with higher resolution recordings and have to fit 10 pounds of sound into a 5 pound RBCD bag. The result almost never sounds as good as the original. This is true whether the original was reel to reel tape, cassette tape, or high resolution PCM. Just yesterday I spent several hours downsampling a double album that was in 48/24 format to 44/16 so it could be released as a CD. As expected, the final version did not sound as good as the original, despite fiddling with various parameters such as gain, filtering and dither. My views on this subject are hardly unique. (See link)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Some (final) points - Tony Lauck 09:41:45 06/16/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.