Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Not your decision: Art is whatever any artist says it is....

you may have a differing opinion: but until there's an agreed upon definition. (And several manufacturers that I know call themselves artists: so they are making art).

You may not like it, you may not call it art, or, you may call it bad art: but that's only your opinion.

"Harman has achieved an almost 100% correlation between measurements and subjective impression"

You're calling that a "fact?." That is clearly crap: and only their, (your) opinion. I'm sure that many, many, people would disagree with that: including manufacturers and consumers who would consider Harman's opinions crap. It is possible that there is some correlation between measurements and good sound: but the very term, "good sound" brings with it such a lack of clarity that that is almost not worth talking about. Clearly the designers at Wilson, Krell, and Audio Physic have RADICALLY different opinions (artistic) on what is "good sound." All of those speakers will measure very, very, differently, and all will still sound good.
Also, a seven foot tall Utopia BE is not designed to "sound good" in a broom closet: and designed to even function properly with a certain class of amplification, - which also will dramatically affect the sound.

""I don't know, but it has been shown that the main culprit is not the enclosure itself, but the enclosure's internal modes. "X" material, the days that such hype could impress me are long gone.""

I'm certain that just about no one cares about whether or not you're impressed. There is no "culprit" here. I'm sure that Wilson has designed a speaker that is the best product that they can make for the price/costs and that it sounds like they want it to, and it (relatively) achieves the goals that they have set for it: which are undoubtedly different subjective goals than your subjective goals.
You are insulting both yourself and Wilson when you use the word "hype:" - which is a personal, and mean-spirited, individual, idiosyncratic, value judgment on your part, based on your closed minded opinions. Surely what constitutes "good sound" and "value" to you is radically different from Wilson and their customers and their fans; who can never be "wrong" because everything is subjective.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.