Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Evidence?

>> What evidence? In the sense of true scientifically produced evidence,
>> there is none. No peer reviewed, journal published blind listening tests
>> that provided controls and a baseline for sensitivity.

Then you would agree that precisely the same thing is true for the subjective take on things? Certainly nothing peer reviewed. Nothing controlled. Just a bunch of anecdotal stories.

What is well established in all other areas of science is the wildly variable influence of of subjective factors. As such, efforts are made to control and account for their influence.

When efforts are made to do that with audio, even the attempts are derided and sneered at, and endless excuses are presented to discount any results. (My favorite is "test anxiety".)

You seem to miss my main point however. What has been consistently true is that when efforts are made toward having even a modest level of blindness in audio related studies, the effusive language regarding "vast differences" mellows.

I wouldn't think that too controversial a point, but I guess when it come to audiophile perceptions, it's hard not to tread on someone's sacred ground. ;-)

Edits: 06/09/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.