Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Good points.

"Probably not a good idea for me at least since most of mine aren't shielded and the E coupling would wipe me out."

I think many of the pro cables I use are shielded but I also have many cheapo RCA's for the single ended stuff which aren't. I've meant to upgrade to coax or a shielded twisted pair eventually but haven't got there. The whole wire thing is something that is coming up the list at some point but for now I've just brute forced semi reasonable results by ensuring sufficient guage for the app and called it a day.

I expected noise due to intercable capacitance as well. I haven't noticed it being significant. I was expecting some 60Hz noise and heven't heard it. I probably need to do a spectral analysis of a noise capture before and after to really prove to myself it truly is below the noise floor. AS I say, maybe due to deafness or whatever. You might just want to try it for yourself. At the very least you'd offer another data point.

The upside is a certain pleasure I take in running my gear confidently when storms are moving through, a fairly regular Seattle area occurence. I haven't unplugged anything in fear for quite a while now, almost to a point of taunting mother nature to see what she can bring.

"But speaking of magic, do you know much about headphone connectors? ...It has a negative affect on the sound. Grrrr. Any ideas?"

What is the nature of the degradation in sound quality?

Some ideas that come to mind are stuff you've probably already thought of. Connector contact clamping force? Is the old 1/8th inch jack that sounds better perhaps of a slightly larger diameter? I assume you've addressed the possiblity of excess oxidation.

I don't know much about what others have found to work best and haven't done any investigating myself. I would expect a query on DIY could yield some opinions. I've noted that many folks there seem to have spent some time sweating about the decision of which RCA jacks to use. Maybe there is some knowledge about headphone jacks too. Also there is that other site. Headfi, or whatever, where the headphone tweakers all discuss their secrets.

Edit: after thinking about cable bundling in my system for a few nanoseconds longer I need to report that the portions of my system using the cheapo non shielded RCA cables really haven't been excersized much at all since bundling. It may be that the coupling hasn't been noticed by me since I haven't been listening to the gear very often it's effects would likely be most evident. Grain of salt.

Edits: 06/01/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good points. - Ugly 12:56:39 06/01/10 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.