Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I don't know why you didn't find my posts

I had forgotten about the comments on the AES forum, but yes I had read them. I don't know any more about Brad's subsequent investigations. I would assume we would have heard from him had he learned that monitor mode did in fact bypass the 44/16 data path. I have faith in Brad's personal integrity, even if we have our differences over audio.

Personally, I don't like the idea of black box testing of a component when what is being debated is a mathematical format. I prefer an all software approach where straight high res PCM is compared with PCM down sampled and subsequently up sampled to the original format. That way if something is heard one at least knows the possible sources of the difference. There is no extra equipment, hum, ground loops, etc. complicating the experimental apparatus. It is a useful exercise to play around with sample rate converters, such as the high quality iZotope 64 bit SRC, and get first hand experience on how the various settings (e.g. various anti-aliasing settings on downsampling) affects the musical sound. (You may not want to do this if you want to remain blissfully happy listening to 44/16 material.)

It is common for mastering engineers to complain that the 44/16 copy of their analog signal is degraded. It is not just subjectivist "audiophools" who complain about the non-transparency of the RBCD format.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.