Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I find it sort of funny....

Hi Presto,

>Those are the exact type of measurements that have my interest these days.<

Impulse response of the LLL is

I’ve got a review with step and impulse response of all three presets, if interested, drop me a mail.

>I assume you do not worry about the pre-ringing of FIR filters.<

Not being familiar with FIR technology at all, I had to do a quick search:

Apparently pre-ringing may be audible, but under what circumstances? Any research? Further, Klein+Hummel customers typically are trained and experienced listeners, so I suppose that pre-ringing is not really an issue, after all, K+H have a reputation to lose.

>What I was referring to, however, are systems that make a complete mess of phase, have no time alignment whatsoever and simply have a reasonably flat frequency response (if that).<

When comparing time aligned to not time aligned speakers, you are almost certainly comparing different amplitude responses and radiation behaviours at the same time, not only phase behaviour. In order to judge the effects of time alignment alone you’d have to equalize the speakers and listen in a reflection free zone (heavy absorption or anechoic)
My speakers allow comparison of time alignment only. I know of only one serious publication where time alignment was investigated, Schmid, “Psychoacoustic experiments with an electroacoustic reproduction system with variable step response”, 21st Ann. Conf. of Acoustics. (German Acoustical Society), Saarbrücken 1995. Used were four different 3-tone signals. For 3 of those, detection rate was below 10%, for the 4th the detection rate was close to 90%. That signal had its center frequency right where the phase angle of the non-aligned system dropped dramatically.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.