Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Musicians and Hi-fi

This is something of a "mis-truth" which has somehow become part of the audio/hi-fi landscape.

In reality, it really depends on the musician and their "job". I am one, and have a nice stereo system, and I know other musicians who have very nice stereo systems.

I think that when you get into the very high echelons of musicians - people who practice AND rehearse or perform every day, stereo systems aren't all that important except to hear a performance and listen to the nuances of style and ensemble. Of course, even then, different musicians have different attitudes/thoughts about stereo systems. Some like a nice sounding system, others don't really care.

My last trumpet mentor, Pierre Thibaud, couldn't have cared less about stereo systems. He was totally involved in the real sound. On the other hand, my old beer-drinking and pizza buddy Roger Salander (Vienna Philharmonic) appreciated a good sound system.

As for me, I started out as a musician in my youth, but quickly became obsessed with SOUND and acoustics, so I'm a bit of a hybrid. I appreciate excellent musical performance and nuance, as well as great sound reproduction and sound reinforcement systems.

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Musicians and Hi-fi - Inmate51 10:13:33 11/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.