Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Thanks for the correction

You are correct, I had forgotten you already correcting me on this several years ago. Apologies if it sounded like my intent was to insult Walker. My point was that I most admire designers who have created a lasting impact on the way others think and approach their craft. There are hundreds of people who have made one or two popular designs - including Walker. But he was pretty much at the tail end of the "electrostatic craze" that began with Hunt's constant charge theory.

I am pretty sure that the Acoustat Spectra was a rectangular version of Malme's idea. I never heard one, but reports I read said it was the best sounding thing Acoustat had ever done. However, Acoustat became popular largely based on their relatively low-cost "Plus" series, especially the 1+1, for under $2000, while the Spectra was quite expensive for its day - I seem to recall $7000 or so. Too little, too late to save them.

One of the most interesting of all was Locanthi. He could do it all, from theoretical math to compression driver design to the world's first amp with a fully complementary output stage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.