Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Thanks for the correction

Well, you are definitely the master of ESLs! I've never seen (let alone heard) any of the Stax loudspeakers. When I was a teenager I had a pair of Stax SR-X Mk. II headphones that I adored. I would lay in bed at night for hours listening to all kinds of music on my turntable. In many ways they set the standard for what I thought a loudspeaker should sound like.

I also experimented with some RTR tweeter panels. I lived in Virginia at the time, but the first summer I got my driver's license I worked for two months to save money and then took a month-long road trip across country. I stopped at the RTR factory and they sold me some cosmetic reject 5"x5" panels that were used in many, many OEM design of the day.

I connected them in place of the deflection plates of my oscilloscope. It had identical X-Y amplifiers and was therefore perfect for stereo. It was fully direct coupled (no capacitor colorations, 100% triode, zero feedback, fully (tube) regulated power supplies, fully differential (balanced) operation from input to output, and had a bandwidth of DC to 250kHz. They were too small to go much below 1kHz, but I had never heard anything like it in my life - absolutely incredible sound. It didn't play very loud with only 400 VDC bias, so it wasn't worth messing with - especially with a dozen feet of wire carrying 400 volts strung across my bedroom (still in high school). But it made an impression on me.

Years later I had my parents ship them to me to build a speaker. Unfortunately they packed them poorly the the screw terminals on one panel punctured the diaphragm on the other one. Never messed with ESLs after that, although I sold Acoustats for a while, the just didn't have the magic I was looking for.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.