Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Stereophile Reaches a New Nadir

Tens-of-thousands of Quads here in the States. Just a guess but I would imagine there are as many Quads in the US as in the UK. Close anyway. Rare they are not! Well over 100,000 units produced.

The 63 speaker was heavily influenced by several other's ideas none of which made it to market. The original Quad was revolutionary in every sense of the word. The world had never seen a true full-range production electrostat prior to the original Quad. A few interesting lab experiments, Janszen's tweeter was around but that was about it.

Stax was heavily influenced by Walker's work. In many ways their speakers were a copy of the original Quad. Naim developed a speaker that was never produced but was essentially a copy of the original Quad. Walker inspired a whole generation of engineers if for no other reason he demonstrated the full-range production electrostat was feasible.

'Most of his "genius" was simply in inventing production methods'

I would say it was a bit more than that but even if that was the extent of his talents that alone makes him a genius. It doesn't matter how great the idea if we can't build it, profitably, consistently, reliably then we don't have much.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.