Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Wrong

>> the MQA train has pulled out of the station and they are not on it <<

Sorry to disappoint the MQA fanboys, but there are much larger forces at play than the $10 million MQA has left to play with, or even the several billions of dollars the record labels or worth. Instead think of the hundreds of billions that the tech companies like Google and Apple are worth. Here are some quotes from a top-level insider at Google:

"We just launched our big project in Android Oreo so I've got some time and space to think through the problem facing consumers (and, frankly everyone else) in the industry with yet another closed, dubious DRM filled "standard" in the audio world (and this one meaningfully worse than many we've seen in the past)."

and

"I've been observing here and elsewhere that good ol Bob is tanking the effort himself. I talked to some studio friends working on Google Music and they mentioned the studios already think its failing."

If Google wanted to, they just could buy all three studios for what amounts to pocket change for them but for the fact that they would likely be stopped by (at least the EU) Justice Department for having a monopoly. They clearly do not want MQA, but at this point they don't even see it as a problem, as Bob Stuart has botched it so badly.

So yeah, I guess the train has left the station - without Bob and his backers. Too bad, but no tears from me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.