Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Perhaps you're not aware about a little known industry secret about musicians....

... that if a dealer, mfg'erer, or distributor needed a quick postive endorsement for their product, hire a musician or conductor.

I've known about this for years and my very limited experience with musicians seems to substantiate that.

Just one example might be the YG Acoustic speaker ads from a few years ago where some conductor listened to the speakers and exclaimed what he heard was indistinguishable from the live performance.

I've heard it said as possible justification is it's becasue of their love of music, to them everything sounds like live music.

I hate to generalize because I'm sure there exists fine musicians with sufficient or better listening skills and frankly I don't why this might be so. But in my limited experience, I can't say that I actually met one yet.

To the mainstream, having a musical background seems to be justification enough to possessing well-trained ears.

Then again, to the mainstream, being a recording engineer is sufficient justification to possessing well-trained ears.

Then again, to some in the mainstream, somebody who worked in a record store might be sufficient justification for possessing well-trained ears.

But then again, to some in the mainstream, all cables and all components sound identical because it's believed that they all preserve the fidelity of the input signal.

People go to an art museum and view a fine painting and because they are not blind, they automatically think they're capable of getting most everything out of the painting that the artist put into that painting.

The same goes with music. People think because they listen to music and passed a hearing test 2 years ago, they're convinced they are skilled listeners.

Shoot, even when Edison demo'ed his new phonograph, those in the audience claimed it sounded just like live.

This far and away has always been high-end audio's biggest problem and it seems nobody has taken any steps to improve that. Why is that?

In fact, with the invention of Google and the over-emphasis placed on a couple of measurements, I would attest that measurements (and high-priced equipment) are the new holy grail and matters are worse than ever.

I'm curious. If you think your staff possess sufficient listening skills what has Stereophile done to help educate or train their readership some who might have no listening skills whatsoever but would like to develop them? Wouldn't that be a step in the right direction and might that not actually improve Stereophile's subscription base while helping to elevate and educate its readers?

What importance does Stereophile put on listening skills both for its staff and for the industry in general?

With the amount of money, time, and resources many enthusiasts put into this hobby, don't you think the hobby might actually grow if Stereophile actually invested some time trying to nurture some of us to improve our listening skills?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.