Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: False assumptions lead to false conclusions

>> I am unclear here, as I thought, in response to your comments to Sue above, that the B&W speakers are underdamped in the critical midrange, which, you claim, explained her preference for the Meridian disc player over the Ayre disc player. In other words, it was not revealing in the midrange. Yet the B&W was revealing when applied to the Ayre amp relative to a competitor? <<

I'm sorry I have not explained this more clearly. The traditional Kevlar B&W midrange driver is not "underdamped". Rather its operating frequencies (assigned by the crossover network) caused the Kevlar diaphragm to resonate at multiple frequencies. These resonances are damped by the goo B&W put into the weave of the Kevlar cloth.

A resonance stores energy. Damping a resonance dissipates that energy, but over a length of time, creating a "time smear". Human hearing is much more sensitive to time than it is to frequency.

Damping a resonance may or may not be better than just leaving it alone, as you are simply balancing time vs frequency. The best thing is to eliminate the resonance altogether.

Does that help?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.