Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

False assumptions lead to false conclusions

>> Perhaps Stereophile was okay so long as they were reviewing and helping to move Ayre gear. And now..... <<

This might have some weight if Stereophile had recently given Ayre a bad review. Their most recent review of an Ayre product was in the September issue, where JA gave the QX-5 Twenty DAC a rave review. False assumption made up to suit your false narrative.

>> I thought I did mention that Fremer seemed to know a lot about turntables when he positively reviewed an Ayre sourced turntable <<

No, Art Dudley gave the DPS turntable imported by Ayre a rave review. Fremer wanted to do a follow-up tearing it to shreds (to demonstrate that he was the TT "expert" with better hearing than Dudley, but he let it slip that he would trash it because it had an acrylic platter, and he already "knew" that all turntables with acrylic platter sucked - the only place where they belonged was sub-$1000 where their failings could be justified by their low price. False assumptions made up to meet your false narrative.

>> Wilson seemed to be a fine and dandy speaker when demoed with Ayre gear at various audio shows. <<

Ayre demonstrated with a WATT/Puppy 7 at exactly 1 show - the 2006 CES. The reason for doing so was 2-fold:

1) We had just developed our MX-R power amplifier and were confident that we could get the Wilson speakers to sound better than anybody else had ever heard them. Since virtually everyone in attendance was familiar with them, they would NOT attribute the good sound to the speaker they had already heard many, many times before.

(A similar thing happened when B&W debuted their 800 Series 3 a year or so ago in Japan - naturally using Classe electronics. All of the press and distributors were quite underwhelmed. It wasn't until some dealers played them with Ayre electronics that people started to understand how much better the new midrange driver was then the previous Kevlar driver.)

2) I truly wanted to understand why the WATT/Puppy was so popular after so many years, when there were many other much better speakers on the market. After living with them every day for 7 months I got a pretty good understanding. It's not because Wilson owners are discriminating, quite the opposite. I won't say more at this point, except to reiterate that I was able to understand the mind set of people who bought them. False assumptions made up to meet your false narrative.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.