Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: False assumptions lead to false conclusions

"A good example of this last point was when B&W debuted their generation 3 Nautilus (the current ones with the "Continuum" midrange cones) in Japan. Obviously they used Classe electronics (this was about a year ago, long before there was an inkling that Classe would be shut down as a money losing enterprise). Many of the attendees, including salespeople from Ayre's Japanese distributor, were very underwhelmed and thought the loudspeakers to be little improved over the previous generation.

Once these same people heard the same loudspeakers connected to Ayre electronics in dealer's showrooms, they realized that the generation 3 was perhaps the most significant improvement in the entire history of the 801 and its "Nautilus" descendants. All of the previous improvements had been to the tweeter and the woofer, but they continued using their patented woven-Kevlar-impregnated-with-damping-goo midrange the entire time. As JGH used to say, "music lives in the midrange". So it is unsurprising that when they finally improved their midrange driver that it made a huge improvement in the sound of their speakers."

I am unclear here, as I thought, in response to your comments to Sue above, that the B&W speakers are underdamped in the critical midrange, which, you claim, explained her preference for the Meridian disc player over the Ayre disc player. In other words, it was not revealing in the midrange. Yet the B&W was revealing when applied to the Ayre amp relative to a competitor?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.