Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cPlay - the open source high-end audio player using ASIO

hey Ken,

I certainly dont know for certain and Ryelands and steppe have given some good explanations.

But I don't understand how any non-faulty code in a player, can sound better than non-faulty code in a different player, both of them running on the same PC, so the above factors of hardware and OS generated noise and spikes are the same for both players

Not sure it is that simple. And I definitely DONT think that all players create the same hardware and OS noise. I know this for a fact.

Let me explain. There was a time when none of my outlets were grounded (it was an apartment). There was a something similar to hum, but it was different in that there were just noises that ranged up and down the audio spectrum. Some players sounded like a growl, some like a delivery truck backing up, some a bit of both. I think that alot of the sound might be from the HDD or cpu, etc.. The sound was soft and with the volume down you could hear it but it didnt change with the volume. The computer noise was definitely different among different players.

The main things that people complain about cplay are IMHO some of the reasons it sounds so good. For instance the black and white no nonsense display. That cuts down on video noise. The ASIO only capability. As steppe mentions that bypasses a bunch of badsounding os stuff. I recall cics talking about "period jitter" and how asio could control it. See the link below. I know he spend a bunch of time on asio refinements and i can tell you from my Lynx card that asio drivers make a huge difference.

Finally cplay is the only player I know of that was designed around a comprehensive hardware and software approach and I think it shows.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.