Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

A design decision affecting VST users

I wrestled with this a bit. There's a test case where ASIO fails at initialisation. This is rare but can occur, e.g. using an output rate not supported by the soundcard. cPlay will show the error and not proceed.

With a plugin in use, I decided on having the plugin go back to its original default settings when an ASIO initialisation error happens. The other alternative is to have the plugin use its current settings. Although either scenario can be easily supported I felt the current method is more cautious and safe (as the ASIO error may be unusual and result in different behaviour).

What this means is should an ASIO error happen at startup (and not during playback) cPlay will revert to the plugin's default settings. In this case, settings must be redone. This can be done either manually or by restoring the "plugin.vst" file in cPlay's installation folder. That is, its always a good idea to keep a backup of your plugin settings (copy "plugin.vst" to "plugin.vst.bak").

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A design decision affecting VST users - cics 07:20:46 12/23/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.