Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Pagefile, threads handles size

I'm not so far down the road as Rick, Ted and others and can still launch Task Manager - see pix.

Note that winvnc.exe is a "headless" control utility. It is believed (though, obviously, unverifiable) that Isass.exe and svchost.exe do not normally run when suspended in cMP's setup dialogue but are invoked by Task Manager. Well, it's what I like to believe.

If I'm right, you're looking at five processes plus cMP & cPlay.

As I do not like the sound of (and have had issues with) AWE-enabled pre-loading of music data into RAM, I don't know what figures are returned for cPlay when so used but, as you can see, cPlay clearly pre-loads data into RAM somehow or other regardless of setting. (You can also see this by looking at the networking tab.)

The setup here is an Intel D510MO dual-core Atom mini-ITX board driving a USB-connected DAC without upsampling. Data from my main system, a slooooooow single-core Atom, are pretty similar but I can't show them as it no longer has TM access. When I could, the main difference was that CPU load was a bit higher, especially at the start of a track.

Hope that's what you were after,

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Pagefile, threads handles size - Ryelands 10:12:53 01/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.