Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Surprising impact of digital cable on jitter

Thanks for posting ling to these pics Greg. I had forgotten about Peter's post. It was infact his work that inspired me initially to build my own usb cable. I was running something about a foot long. The initial change this week was to shield the power pair separately from the signal pair with ordinary kitchen tin foil. Shocking improvement. Next I took it down to < 6". Modest improvement. I think as a result the deal is to reduce HF induced jitter. The lessloss guys are building stacks of chips direct to chips to eliminate cable all together. much as Peter does with his clock/2706/1543/cap stack on his latest dac experiments. These pics reminded me that I should eliminate the connector at the dac end and just leave one to connect to the PC.

Another change that brought crazy improvement was eliminating even the 3 or 4 mm of leads on caps by going to surface mount polymer decoupling caps directly on the legs of the 1541 dac chip per ecdesign. I think every mm counts in digitally induced jitter on signal path.

Antenna length is only about an inch in the 2.4 ghz wifi band. We all have 5.8ghz cordless phones around our rigs. Even shorter antenna. All this stuff is injecting substantial jitter into our highly exposed cmp systems. I have now proven that even wrapping the digital signal wires in a little foil make a difference if you cannot eliminate them all together.
I2S is better than other signal transports because it carries separate clock signals. Still shield it from the antenna factor.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Surprising impact of digital cable on jitter - wlowes 20:18:10 11/03/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.