Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Ja wul, commandant

"I see. So they don't equalize their own speakers for flat response."

Some do, some don't. Mostly it's the audiophile types who don't. In the old days, everyone did. But that didn't make them sound exactly the same. If some companies had similarities, it was in part do to widespread use of the same speaker models for monitors. A7s in the 50s and 60s, B&W 801s in the 80s.

"Ok. So you are compensating for inept engineers who don't know what neutral bass sounds like."

I didn't say that. The issues are extremely complex. There is no one easy explanation as to why different recordings have different tonal balances. On some recordings, even different insturments are equalized grossly differently. There is no satisfactory fix for that problem short of going back to the master tape. You are satisfied to live with these variations from one recording to another without even trying to correct for them or pretend that they don't exist. Fine, that's your choice but it's not good enough for me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.