Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Only Sometimes

There are cases where cables do make a difference, like high capacity ones causing power amp oscillation (according to Nelson Pass) or like these cables having some kind of RLC-network included. Just recently JA measured a cable and found the reason for that cable's sonic behaviour.

In Toole's tests the knowledge of the identity of the component changed the rating/ranking of that component within the group of components tested.

If you hear differences between wires in a system run the test under blind conditions just to be sure that the differences are not influenced by parameters other than sonic. If the differences can still be heard, look for a technical explanation. Amp oscillation is such an explanation but you wouldn't want your amps to oscillate, do you?

A friend of mine once built silver interconnects, when we compared them to copper IC the silver ones were a bit louder. That's a clear audible difference. That's why level in listening tests has to be carefully controlled.

Anyway, in you initial post you were asking for what objectivists believe about wires. I think I've answered that question. The wire I'm using is good quality microphone cable for the analog connections (balanced and unbalanced) and good quality digital wire (same brand) for the digital connections, no speaker cable. In total I spent maybe $250 on wire.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.