Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I'll put my sound system up against yours any day

Drag it over and we'll see whose can sound more like a piano and a violin in the same room, not someone's idea of what a stereo sound system should sound like based on what they like.

I visited one audiophile's home with a group of audiophiles where he had an expensive sound system. He was afraid to turn up his subwoofer because he said he was afraid of exciting all of the room resonances. As a result, one guy there who was a speaker designer said there was nothing audible under 200 hz and I had to agree. Every musical instrument which played in the lowest two octaves was weak or completely inaudible. You have to wonder what he'd have done if he had a child who actually wanted to take lessons and play a real piano in that room. It's the audiophile's who are nuts, not me. How many real musical instruments do YOU compare your equipment to and at what intervals. Perhaps instead of investing in a $50,000 distortion analyzer, you'd be better off investing in a $50,000 Steinway. You might learn a lot more from it. From what you said, you didn't learn much from the distortion analyzer.

How can you expect me to take you seriously? Based on what you have said, you judge your designs by what you like, not by what you can measure and not by blind testing with real musical instruments. You have no objective working model of what an amplifier is supposed to do. You have likely exposed yourself repeatedly to very loud sounds for prolonged periods at live rock concerts possibly damaging your hearing and your hearing is 64 1/2 years old to begin with. Other than testimonial accolades from people I don't know whose own financial interests probably coincide to some degree with yours, what have I got to tell me your product is actually any better or different from anyone elses, your word for it? According to someone else you've surely heard of and who I have met and who has gone from someone completely unknown to me to someone I have no respect for, you are living "In Audio Hell" along with the rest of us. When given an opportunity to demonstrate his nearly half million dollar sound system even just to show it off, he was not only bored and disinterested, when I walked into his demo room, he was playing loud rock music and when I left he was playing a vinyl of 1940s Bing Crosby recordings. The one recording I heard which could actually tell me something about audio equipment which I brought with me, a recording of Marian McPartland playing a Baldwin grand was pathetic with the second and third lowest octaves sounding like she had suffered polio in her left arm. That on a recording I normally have to reduce the bass on in my own main sound system. And of course in his sound system with his $125,000 speakers in the corners to make the most of the bass they could produce, probably high Q tuned to a very low frequency, there was nothing you could do about it. A half million dollar sound reproduction system which made a Baldwin grand piano sound like a toy and you tell me I'm insane?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'll put my sound system up against yours any day - Soundmind 03:39:05 09/01/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.