Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

If you honestly wanted to know,you could have read the Audioholics cable articles

I don't think you can safely condense the avarage objectivist's beliefs into a pair of yes or no answers. Who would admit to being average, anyway?

You could also look up Mtrycraft's posts here and on Audioholics (Jon Risch's old Asylum sparring partner).

Even so, I'll bite:

Question 1: Yes
Question 2:Maybe

These need expansion:

Question 1:Different manufacturers may have big differences in construction and RLC parameters;I'm pretty sure Monster has some coax types, but they also have twisted pair inside a shield with one side grounded.If the RLC parameters are the same and the construction and shielding type are similar, no differences will be detectable in a DBT. Obviously, gross differences in RLC parameters might be audible, although with short cables the differences should be very subtle. In a system suffering from noise pickup( ground loops, hum or RFI) the shielding type may make a difference in the noise floor.

Question 2: I didn't look it up, but I think Cardas likes the tri-braid unshielded designs, so in a noisy system I wouldn't be surprised to hear a change in the noise floor with the Cardas.In a simple, quiet system the differences would be harder to detect.

In conclusion, I think the "average " objectivist feels that cable differences are overblown, many cable prices are insane, and any differences that exist are easily explained by differences in RLC, shielding type or construction quality. The exotic properties and effects (OFC, conductor alloy type, near-superconductors,micro-diodes, 6N, long cystals,motor generator effect in speaker cables, pigment color,Essex Echo, etc.) need not be considered; those are either urban myths, or they produce effects too low in level to be detectable in a blind test.

I like Mtrycraft's tagline on his AH posts: Audiophile-someone who claims to hear the inaudible

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.