Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Please Tell Me Your Post Is Being Sarcastic

mls-stl, I previously stated "However, I believe manufactuers should strive to keep the LCR parameters as benign as possible." to which you responded "The problem with that nice sounding idea is it depends on the meaning of the word "benign."

Well I see NO problem with my nice sounding idea at all! Benign, in this case would mean, as taken from Merriam-Webster 3b below "having no significant effect : HARMLESS "

Main Entry: be·nign
Pronunciation: bi-'nIn
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English benigne, from Anglo-French, from Latin benignus, from bene + gignere to beget -- more at KIN
1 : of a gentle disposition : GRACIOUS
2 a : showing kindness and gentleness b : FAVORABLE, WHOLESOME

3 a : of a mild type or character that does not threaten health or life; especially : not becoming cancerous
b : having no significant effect : HARMLESS

I NEVER said any one wire could or would be "the best" and obviously what would be benign for cartridges with capacitances from about 100 pF to 500 pF, would not be benign for those cartridges with requirements outside this range!

Nor did I say or imply that benign automatically means a "low" L,C or R. To be benign a wire's LCR parameters would have to be balanced for it's intended usage. However as you readily showed with tone arm wire, these intended usages can vary greatly, hence what's benign for one component, might not be benign for another. This all goes towards proving my beliefs that wires "sound" different in different systems.

These examples you supplied above only goes to strengthen that postion for me. There is NO "best" wire. Due to LCR parameters what's benign for one component, might not be benign for another! Yet having a benign wire, that is having no significant effect or HARMLESS to the signal it's being fed is precisely what we all should be seeking, and just one of what are probably meaning reasons why wires "sound" different, in different systems!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Please Tell Me Your Post Is Being Sarcastic - thetubeguy1954 11:01:36 08/30/06 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.