Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "extraordinarily dangerous"

"Safety has come a long way, but it's up to each individual to assess the situation that he or she may be putting him/her self into. If you get hurt, it will more than likely be an act that you could have prevented."

Tell it to the illegal aliens they hired to work in the wafer fabs who barely spoke English. When they got hurt, they just chucked them out the back door with the rest of the trash and brought new ones in through the front door to replace them with. Then one day, a bunch of them sued Signetics for being used as "canaries." They had become so sensitized to organic solvents, they would get violently ill just walking down the laundry detergent aisle of a supermarket or using soap with perfume in it. They sat in the cafeteria all day until someone thought there was a spill or leak somewhere. Then they'd be brought in to see if they reacted. When they sued, they were fired.

Look up the Sunnyvale Scribe's back issues around 1979. They listed around 350 serious continuous code violations and endless warnings by local code officials that their facilities were going to be shut down. Were they serious? Some were very serious like tanks of anyhdrous amonia and hydrocholoric acid being stored in the same gas cabinets. When I mentioned this to my supervisor who was the facilities manager, he said the artical was inaccurate...his own list was over 750 and even that was incomplete.

My favorite in the short time I was there was the defective Mexican manufactured bag filters they bought and were about to install in the arsenic trioxide filters on the roof of one wafer fab. Had they failed in use, they'd have spread arsenic around Sunnyvale like it was baking flour in the wind. A lot of people might have died but gardens all over the valley would have bloomed in all their glory that year and for many years to come. BTW, have they cleaned up the aquifers yet? They found thousands of burried rusted out waste tanks leeching solvents including TCA into the ground water. How was this first discovered? By a support group of women who had experienced an unusually large number of miscarriages in the San Jose area. They ran Fairchild right out of town forcing them to shut down their Bernal Road facility. Who were the industrial culprits? They were all guilty of the same thing, HP, IBM, Intel, all of them. No surprise there, the same engineers rotated from one company to another making the same mistakes in every last one of them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.