Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: that's where we novices can get confused

I really don't know. You could look it up in a book which would specify the capacitance per unit length. CAT5 cable is designed to have very low inherent capacitance. It's purpose is to transmit high speed data signals over moderate distances (a couple of hundred feet) without a repeater to reform the leading edge of each switching pulse. That's what capacitance does, it attenuates high frequencies rounding the leading edge of step functions and slowing the rise time of pulses. The capacitance adds together based on the number of pairs you use and the length. The inductance will add based on how loosely knit they are, how long and how many. A large diameter cable made from many strands loosely knit CAT5 could have both high capacitance and high inductance forming a perfect tank circuit to act as an oscillator. To get actual data, I'm sure you could get this from a wire manfuacturer's web site such as Belden's. There are also technical organizations which set standards. I'm sure there must be and American Wire Manufacturer's Association or something like it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: that's where we novices can get confused - Soundmind 12:01:12 08/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.