Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Just to play the devil's advocate

since I also brought up the subject of pigmentation, wire LCR factors actually are relatively minor to my hearing most of the time, but solder used and the construction of the terminations often make for larger sonic differences. I'm surprised no one has brought these factors up before.

Take Cardas for example. They make their ends in a silver, gold and rhodium plate: same brass barrel, just different plating. I actually bought all three types and used the same wire to make sonic comparisons: all sound different, and the difference was greater than if I switched wire, but then it would be hard to use the wire without terminations, wouldn't it?
Mouser sells Deltron ends, and one can buy them with a solid center pin silver plated or hollow pin silver plated, and you can get the same ends in a gold plate also. I went through the trouble of trying them all, just for curiosity. Oh yeah and you can try them without the trim barrels also. It makes for interesting listening.

I've used and still have SN 62, 60/40, SN 95, Wonder, Cardas, AQ, and lead free formulations of solders. Lead free makes for a dramatic change in sonics.

You want to compare cable jackets? I've done that also in ordering sample power cords from Daletech. They come in a choice of sky blue or black.

What about gauge? There are differences and they are audible, at least to some. Ever try the oval wire Kimber makes (SF 23/SF 24)?

I tested these variables by wiring up the inputs of my preamp with different wire for every input. Interesting learning test.

But how many are even going to bother testing for themselves. The
amount of dollars spent was not really significant, The Deltron ends are about $2 each, although the Cardas ends were a bit more. Bet most are simply going treat this an an intellectual exercise and never try out the variables for themselves.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just to play the devil's advocate - unclestu52 20:20:18 08/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.