Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: If you honestly wanted to know,you could have read the Audioholics cable articles

Atexanathome allow me to commend you on writing the first Objectivists post I could honestly read and relate to. Your lack of an agenda made it a post I wanted to read.

As far as #1 is concerened I am in somewhat agree with you. I'm sure that different manufactuers end up with finished products that exhibit different LCR parameters in the end. IMHO if the cables are obviously exhibiting gross differences in RLC parameters this would be definitely audible. However, I believe manufactuers should strive to keep the LCR parameters as benign as possible.

Now for #2 the examples I picked were purposely and specifically to get 3 completely separate views or ideas on how an interconnect should be designed. IMHO "IF" you are going to be able to hear differences in interconnects you'll be able to do it with these three!

I was surprised to find that we seem to agree that cable differences are (at times) overblown. I do agree that many, many cable prices are insane! Afterall in the end it's basically ONLY wire, dielectric and a jacket. So unless the manufactuer can come up with a readily understandable reason why his cable should considerably "sound" better than another piece of wire, and somehow justify why it's worth $500 or more for an 8 foot, you end up with an 8 foot section of wires that now costs you $500 or MORE!

I also agree that in most cases any differences that exist are easily explained by differences in RLC, shielding type or construction quality.

Where we disagreed is that I believe that exotic properties i.e. OFC, conductor alloy type, near-superconductors,micro-diodes, 6N, long cystals, motor generator effect in speaker cables, pigment color,Essex Echo, etc. DO need be considered. For Example: I've recently read when using a black jacket cover the added carbon used to make the color black may indeed be causing an audible effect. I personally haven't heard this for myself, but neither have I listened for an differences with black jackets.

I believe there are some unscrupulous wire dealers and manufactuers out there that charge way too much for a piece of wire, dielectric and a jacket. However I also believe there are things that cause differences in how wire's "sound" that we haven't yet discovered and I'm not ready to toss the baby out with the water.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.