Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: LOL

AJinFLA, I'm glad I made you laugh, I was hoping you'd see the direction our "debate" had taken was quite foolish. Unlike what most Objectivists believe about me, I have no problem with you or others travelling other paths to audio nirvana.

You stated "Of note, even the wacko magazine "subjectivist" reviewers that review the type of coloring equipment that you use, will grudgingly admit that speakers like the Orion and Summa are among the worlds finest - if they have heard them."

I have no doubt these speakers can be made to sound quite nice with the right components. In fact I even said in a previous post to you; "I always value honesty (even in the middle of a disagreement) so I have to admit I've heard good things about about the DIY Orion speakers. I even considered making a pair but the 6 channels of amplification turned me off. IMHO too many wires and other components! However it's equally as valid an approach as the one I've taken. It's just not the one I'd take."

I've learned to trust me ears after 37 years of being in this hobby. I've owned some quite nice solid state gear, Mark Levinson, Belles, OCM, GAS, MELOS and Audio Analogue to name a few. I've just found that tubes and SET's in particular add a rightness to the music I've never heard with solid state components.

If you want to believe that this is due to "euponic colorations" so be it, I just happen to disagree. I've never heard music replicated this realistically before, but as they say that's just IMHO.

Also if you wish to believe my "wacko wires" are deviating from neutral and once again adding "euponic colorations" again I say, so be it!

However consider this before you pat yourself on the back too much. NO audio component or wire is 100% neutral. So perhaps (and this is ONLY an example for purpose of illustration of a point) if you had an amp that was down 6dB's at 10Hz-100Hz and at 10Khz-30Khz, choosing a wire that's up 6dB's at 10Hz-100Hz and at 10Khz-30Khz (which as you say is "euponic colorations") using THAT wire, in THIS example, would actually make the final output closer to neutral than if you had chosen another wire whose "euponic colorations" were elsewere, or was even closer to the ideal 100% neutral!

AJinFLA like I said before; "Why can't you just admit that other persons have an equally valid approach to replicating music, but it's just not for you?" That's all I'm saying about you and your equipment.

Just because we don't agree on the path doesn't mean you need to insult the choices & disparaging the components of those who disagree with your choices & beliefs! That's one thing that Objectivists for all their supposed knowledge just cannot seem to learn.

AJinFLA you said "I doubt very much you would bring your amp/wire/speaker combo to be judged by a jury of your peers, but who knows?" I cannot move it! The amp weighs 135LBS and I'm disabled, but perhaps sometime in the future you can come over and listen to it for yourself?

Let me end this by stating this. The problem with Objectivists as I see it is they rely too much on numbers & measurements and not enough on what's actually percieved!

Suppose a scientist made a new weapon that bends light and "cloaks" individuals in invisability! Suppose all the numbers & measurements prove this device works 100% as expected. Yet when the new weapon is actually used some people insist they can still see the soldier. he's right there and points at him. Should the scientists insist these people are wrong because numbers & measurements prove the weapon works and the soldier cannot be seen? Or should the fact that the people still perceive the soldier over ride what the the numbers & measurements prove?

That's what's happening in audio, we keep telling the Objectivists that the wires are making the system sound more realistic because we HEAR it. We keep telling the Objectivists the tube amps are making the system sound more realistic because we HEAR it. Yet they insist we are wrong because the numbers & measurements prove the regular wires and solidstate equipments works correctly and thus we cannot hear an improvement!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: LOL - thetubeguy1954 07:02:12 09/06/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.