Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Good one, May! (Suggest you bother no further to reply to sarcastic male harridans.) nt

Thanks Clark. I usually only reply if I think there is chance of moving things further forward. That is if I see a glimpse of someone saying (in effect) "There is something strange going on - there are things changing the sound which should not be changing the sound. We must/should investigate further." As soon as I see sentences along the lines of "What is being described cannot possibly be happening, therefore it isn't happening, therefore we do not have to do any investigations.", then I back off.
I have described before one of my favourite quotes - by the well known scientist Michio Kaku - when he describes the difficulty in getting some people to consider new concepts. He refers to some people as Flatlanders - people living in the Land of Two Dimensions who cannot (will not ??) listen to what the people who have discovered some of the wonders of the Three Dimensional World are attempting to describe.

In my latest reply to 'thetubeguy', I particular chose the quotes from John Atkinson's article in 1983 because it illustrates how certain members of the audio industry (all of them technically competent) but who, collectively, had no explanation for what they were experiencing.

I could easily have chosen quotes from your own recent article in 'positive feedback online' on applying different chemicals to CDs and experiencing changes in the sound. (i.e. "Lotions Eleven, or the Fluid Dynamics of CD"), but I realised that under the current 'postings' on cables, it was not the right place - EVEN THOUGH your article on changing sound with chemicals IS COMPLETELY RELEVANT to the differences in sound created by different cables !!!!
Quotes from your article such as "I discussed my own experience with one product, Optrix, back in 1996 and speculated on the reasons why it took an iconic audio critic almost ten years to catch up. Nor had Optrix been my first fluid, nor was it even the best; it was simply an affordable introduction to the world of CD improvement that few would fail to hear unless their minds were set against it...... Not a single other major reviewer used, or admitted to using, a CD cleaning fluid. Anyway not after the Armor All fiasco...... Neither I nor anyone else in audiodom can confidently and satisfactorily explicate this phenomenon."....... Nor are the lotions discussed here necessarily the best route to CD improvement.... Others include the degausser, the mat, the edge paint, the edge carving, the Intelligent Chip.... And God knows what else...... WHY ? Who knows, none of these make particular sense given the orthodox 'bits is bits' wisdom."

Absolutely correct. It does not make sense. So, if it happens, if it changes sound, and you are in the audio business, then the fact that it has happened has to be dealt with.
Yes, some people can deal with the situation by burying their heads in the sand saying "it cannot happen, therefore it does not happen" but some of us have chosen to deal with the problem - and investigate, and investigate, and investigate !!
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.