Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

There's always an excuse

"First of all, audio shows are really not good places to audition gear."

Then why do the exhibitors bother to go at all if not to show off what their products can do? The room was no good. We didn't have enough time to set it up properly. We had a problem with the equipment and we couldn't make repairs out in the field. That was just a prototype, the production units are much better. You never hear them tell you, this is how it works and this is what you will get. Well surprise, it was the same problem (among many) from the $10,000 Martin Logan Summits at Harvey Radio which Costco is selling for $7500 connected to a monster Krell amplifier, an outrageously priced McIntosh preamp and McIntosh cd player. That pile of junk probably retailed for well north of $25,000. No upper bass or lower midrange. Cellos sounded like the musicians were half dead. Oh, it was the amp and preamp which were no good that time. How about those crapply little VS VR1s with an $1800 matching VS subwoofer I recently heard at someone's house which had the same problem? Was it the Chinese made Dynaco Stereo 70 clone from "Tubetech" with the upper midrange/lower treble peak or the Italian made digital solid state amp he swapped it out with which was the real problem? Or was it the setup? Funny, before the demo, the guy took a tape measure out to be absolutely certain the speakers were exactly 44" from the wall behind it, not 43 1/2" or 44 1/2". Maybe he just got that wrong too. When is it that it doesn't sound right because the equipment just plain stinks? I know, when it's mine. T.S. E-Stat, I've got real musical instruments in the same room as my equipment to compare with...and it can sound pretty damned close when the FR is carefully tweaked...sometimes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.