Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Objectivists base statements on objective data -- beliefs are for losers

Reading the posts between you and John I got lost.

Sorry 'bout that. :)

John Curl is talking about wires you make that he believe's he'd like the "sound" of but, which are unfortunately quite expensive. At least when John says (jokingly I assume) "I could not have afforded them anyway." I believe they'd be expensive.

Well, "expensive" can be quite relative. A 1 meter set of Taos sells for $450. In this industry, where cables can sell for upwards of five figures, that's downright cheap. For someone used to buying cables at Circuit City or Best Buy for $5-$10, that's rather expensive.

Now the reason I'm lost is, you make what appears to be expensive cables, yet you state; "If you're trusting with regard to actual audible differences, well, there's a pile of evidence to show that they're not so reliable."

Yes. Because there is. :)

So how do you justify making an expensive wire that cannot reliably be proven to have actual audible difference?

Because for me, at the end of the day when I'm enjoying music being reproduced on an audio system, I don't care. In that realm, I'm a holistic, hedonist subjectivist and I pursue that which gives me the most pleasure, regardless of what the reasons might be.

As for others, I cannot justify anything for them. That's their job, based on whatever criteria is most relevant to them which may well be different from my own. So to that end I simply say what they are and what they cost and leave the justifications (or lack thereof as the case may be) up to the individual.

I'm not looking to cause a war, but would like to know your point of view better on this matter.

No problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.