Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: It's never been done - ML was the closest

Meridian's Ultra DAC was discussed at the time but I declined for the reasons I stated.

I generally spend about 2 months with review gear so I would not say these DACs were unfamiliar to me. I also owed the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC for some time and now the Brooklyn and there is certainly a Mytek 'house sound'.

How is it that you want to discount reviews and other reports based on unfamiliarity with music, gear, room, etc yet hold up Rick Rubin's show demo as having value?

Let me try to be clear about my position regarding MQA - today anyone with a Tidal HiFi account can listen to MQA-encoded files at up to 24/96 without an MQA DAC. New titles are added on a regular basis and it's my understanding this will continue.

So this entire 'does MQA sound better/worse" can be tested by anyone interested *in the way they'd use it*. Not doing A/B comparisons of a handful of *tracks* over and over.

I have zero interest in doing *A/B comparison of a few tracks over and over* in an attempt to say something about MQA mainly because, as I've said on numerous occasions, there are other factors that are more important. The DAC being one of them. I have also purchased a non-MQA DAC recently and wrote about it so my position is very clear if you read what I write. Clearly some people here prefer to read what other people write about what I write to know about what I write. I'm not saying you do this, but a shitload of people here do.

There are clearly other people/reviewers who seem very interested in what you are proposing. Perhaps one of them will pick up this ball.

Besides, I'm currently working on something that I find much more interesting and which I believe may have a far greater impact on improving the quality of stereo reproduction. This will keep me busy for some time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.