Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Just a couple of points

One, if the editor and those individual writers were concerned about informing readers about MQA, shouldn't they include some of the points that Charles Hansen, Doug Schneider and others have been making in this forum in their coverage? And that the manufacturers Linn, Schitt and others have been making on their sites? Particularly about giving so much control over the entire recording industry to an external standards organization, MQA?

Two, if the editor and those individual writers wanted to make an informed case for MQA, shouldn't they be clear on what is being compared to what? Can you tell, from the link mqas-sound-convinces-hardened-showgoers, what exactly is being compared to what? I initially thought they were comparing hi res PCM files to MQA, but then the comment "the CD of the recording ..."

Three, should the editor and those individual writers uncritically accept what they describe as the "jaw dropping" revelations at press events organized by MQA people? Where MQA people control the equipment, and hence the digital filters, through which they're listening to both the PCM and MQA files?

Four, when the editor and those individual writers write on this forum, they sound normal. But when they write articles about those MQA press events, they sound like they're writing promotional, marketing material. There's no evidence of a critical perspective. Why do they do that? Why can't they write normally?

As to a conspiracy, being co-opted into a marketing effort requires no conspiracy. In many ways it's the easiest route to take. Being conscientious and principled is harder.

Daniel

Edits: 08/16/17 08/16/17 08/17/17 08/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.