Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Uhm..

My best guess is that we won't see any more MQA files from anybody. Warner's dumped out a few thousand that were all transferred by MQA. Then allegedly two Warner's mastering engineers received lengthy special training to learn how to apply the MQA process.

Since March I've only seen a trickle of new MQA releases. Normally what happens is this - a big company hears about a new format. They will dip their toe in the water with a trial run. If it makes money, they will do it again. (Making money is their job, remember?) If it loses money, they won't do it again.

That's why within a few years after the release of DVD there were 40,000 titles available. That's why after a few dozen releases of DVD-Audio, there were no more to be found. That's why after a few dozen SACDs there were no more (by the major labels - there are still some very small specialty labels that make them).

Since (at this point) Tidal is not charging extra for MQA, the only way for anybody to make any money on MQA (besides MQA itself with the licensing and royalty fees) is to add more new subscribers than they would without MQA. I would have to assume if that were happening that we would start seeing batches of releases from Sony and UMG, and further batches from Warners.

What do you think?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Uhm.. - Charles Hansen 21:01:21 08/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.