Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Wake up, please

>> I fail to understand the angst when comparing things which are free to choose between. <<

Why do you think MQA are spending tens of millions of dollars to promote this? What do you think their end game is? If they are successful, you may not have a choice, and you will have been an unwitting pawn in their game.

1) Do you really think there is no reason that DRM is built into MQA?

2) Do you really think that Tidal (or anybody) can continue to offer services that cost them a substantial amount of money to their customers for free forever?

3) If MQA could really make files sound dramatically "better", why aren't all of the studios fighting to be first in line to buy their MQA magic box?

4) Why does MQA have to hide all of the inner workings of the process behind a bunch of marketing mumbo-jumbo with made up words?

5) Why were the first public comparison made against MP3?

There are dozens and dozens and dozens of questions, none with satisfying answers. Therefore all we can do is try to put the known pieces of the puzzle together and speculate. I don't like any of the possible long-term outcomes that I can see. In fact I don't even like the short-term situation, where manufacturers have to send their players to a competing manufacturer (Bob Stuart is still on the Board of Meridian, and both MQA and Meridian are owned by Reinet Investments and Bob Stuart) so that they can reverse-engineer my design for free, and I get to pay them money for that privilege.

If they really came up with a better sounding digital filter - fine. Let them sell it on the open market. As far as the reduction in file size, it is completely bogus. The technical contributor to Hi-Fi News, Jim Lesurf has already pointed out that a 96/18 FLAC file has greater resolution than MQA and is also significantly smaller than an MQA file, plus doesn't need any special licenses, royalties or whatever.

If you want to believe that Bob Stuart has come up with the very best sounding digital filter of all time, that can never, ever be improved upon, feel free to keep on dreaming. As Linn said, MQA is bad for music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.